Thursday, September 24, 2015

Book Club Coming to South Paw High School


Hi All,
 
My name is Miss Swansburg and I will be the faculty member overseeing our new book club! We took a poll last semester to see what kind of clubs you guys would like to see the school offer, the results are below:
 
Extracurricular Activities Poll
Question: What kind of clubs do you want to see the school offer?
  • Book Club - 40%
  • Magic Club - 2%
  • Environmental Club - 20%
  • Robotics Club - 38%

Since we had a large percent of you vote for the book club, I hope to see many of you sign up! The sign up sheet is posted on the door of classroom 310, please be sure to include your name and email address so I have a way to contact you. 
 
Details for our first meeting:
  • Book Title: The 5th Wave
  • Author: Rick Yancy
  • Genre: Science Fiction/Action & Adventure
  • When: Friday, October 9 at 3:30 PM
  • Where: Room 310
  • Buy it on Amazon or check your local public library
I do not expect anyone to have anything read by the first meeting. In the meeting, we will discuss how many chapters we would like to have read by the next meeting. We will typically meet on Thursdays, with the exception of our first meeting. If anyone would like to suggest other books we could read in book club, please feel free to start a discussion. Please include titles, authors, and what you believe is the appropriate age level for the book. We do not want to include books that would be inappropriate for students age 14-18 to read! If anyone has already read The 5th Wave or does not approve of the reading selection, please start a discussion and let me know why. Perhaps if we have a large enough group that has already read this book, we could pick a better selection to accommodate everyone. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask!

6 comments:

  1. Ms. Swansburg,
    I am so glad to see that the book club was the most voted for club (I voted for it!). I have not read The Fifth Wave but I did look up a summary of it and it sounds very entertaining and age appropriate for 14 to 18 year old students. Several books came to mind after reading the summary for The Fifth Wave. One was The Hunger Games series and also the Divergent series. Both books have a lot in common and similar to the book you have listed. A few books that may interest students would be 1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell. Also, I really enjoy Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I really like classic older books so I listed a few below that are age appropriate. Let me know what you think.
    The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
    In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
    The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (This may be more suited to older students)
    KJohnson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy,
    These are all wonderful suggestions! I have not had the opportunity to read some of these yet, so it is nice to hear what others would be interested in. I really enjoyed The Hunger Games and the Divergent series, and believe both would be great options if we have a lot of students that enjoy The 5th Wave. I also am very happy to see that you suggested In Cold Blood, I forgot how good of a read that one was, and it would be a great classic to add to the list! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. Swansburg,

    I also really enjoyed the Hunger Games and would love if we could include it! Katy reminded me of one of my favorites, Anthem, by Ayn Rand. It might be better for seniors than for freshmen, but I think we'd have a lot to say about it. I've never even heard of The Fifth Wave, but the plot synopsis on Wikipedia makes it sound interesting and fast-paced. I'm very excited to read this and talk about it, and I hope everyone else who signs up is too!

    KBaker

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimberly,

    I love hearing how excited everyone is to read The 5th Wave, and can't wait to see the turnout for our first meeting! Thank you for your book suggestion! Perhaps after our first meeting, we can discuss further dividing book club by grade, or maybe even have the seniors read two books if they feel like taking on a challenge. Additionally, we could also consider having part of book club read one book and the other part of book club read another book based upon interest. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. Swansburg,

    I am very excited to hear of the book club coming to South Paw. I really like everyone's suggestions, but maybe selections such as poetry anthologies and graphic novels would be interesting as well. Off the top of my head the graphic novel 'Habibi' by Craig Thompson would be an interesting and age appropriate choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice choice of the background design, Natalie. It stirs the visitors' imagination right from the start ;-)

    AZ

    ReplyDelete